Friday 28 October 2016

How to ... Budget For Happiness

Hello Friends !

How are you ? I hope you're happy because everybody deserves to be happy. Unfortunately from time to time when money gets tight it can be a lil bit difficult to budget in a way that allows you to pay for the things that help keep you smiling. Especially when you're a student struggling along on very little money and a lot of stress from studying which is NOT a good combination. However, recently I've been working with Earnest.com to learn about ways you can control your money. They have a new system that allows graduates to refinance their student loans to fit their post-college life, with the ability to skip or change your monthly payment. It got me thinking about ways I can break down all this complicated money malarkey into five key areas that I'm going to explain in simple, no fuss terms so that YOU can budget for the happiness you deserve.



I like to divide my monthly wages into four. This allows me to see what I have to spend each week and makes it harder for me to lose track of my budgeting and over spend. I then split the weeks money between five key areas for happiness.

Nutrition


Without the nutrients that your body needs then how will you be able to feel happy and healthy in the most important part of your body, your mind. Spend some time planning out healthy meals filled with plants and whole grains that won't cost the earth. A healthy diet can fit to any budget. Buying frozen vegetables is a great way to bulk up any meal and adds a delicious twist for a low price ! You can even reduce the price of your favourite meals by removing expensive meats. For example switching the mince beef in chili con carne for extra kidney beans and some quinoa ! Alternatively, you can switch your expensive super food smoothies for the fresh homemade kind or even the healthiest drink of all, water!

Fitness




Keeping with the theme of  Healthy Body = Healthy Mind and it's important to keep yourself fit ! There are lots of ways to do this. Some budgets will allow for gym memberships, if so then makes sure that you shop around for the best membership deals. Think about inclusive exercise classes, good equipment, Is it in walking distance ? I always look for a gym that I can walk to because that walk acts as a warm up for my session ! However if a gym is a little out of your price range there are lots of alternatives. How about taking up yoga. You could go to weekly classes or if that's not fee-sable then how about using YouTube videos to help you to learn, for example Yoga With Adriene.

Treating Yourself


Every now and then it's important that you treat yourself to a little present to remind yourself of how special you are. It doesn't need to be something big, perhaps a little nail varnish or a bar of chocolate for a little pick me up ! You could even save up your extra money over the month to buy yourself something bigger like some new hair straighteners or a nutri-bullet !

You Time




There is very little more important than spending time with yourself, it's essential for learning who you are, who you'd like to be and how you're going to get there. There are lots of ways to spend time with yourself. You can simply curl up with fairy lights and a good book or if you have a little more money, what about a spa day? There's no better way to relax than a lovely massage or a facial. It's the perfect reminder of how wonderful you are and how much you deserve happiness.

Time With Friends And Family


However important it is to spend time learning to be grateful to yourself, it is also important to spend time with your loved ones. Sometimes, especially as a student you can begin to feel very isolated when you feel that you don't have enough money to go out and socialize with your friends and family . But there's no need ! If you have a slightly higher income then how about a trip to the cinema with student discount and pre-bought snacks from the supermarket. If you have a lower income then don't despair, put together a picnic and take your family to the park to enjoy it ! It a lovely day out and think of all the fun the younger members of your family will have !

How do you budget for happiness ? I'd love to hear from you in the comments ! If you found this post helpful and would like some more ideas then head over to the Earnest Blog for lots of brilliant ways to take charge of your spending habits and continue to live a happy and fulfilled life

Stay Strong <3 Stay Smiley :) Stay In Budget

Lots of love, Marianne xxx

P.s. I wrote this post in collaboration with Earnest.com but all opinions are my own.

Like what I see ? For updates on when I post, click here to follow me on bloglovin !

29 comments:

  1. I loved this post, treating yourself is very important :)

    Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! It certainly is . I hope you have a brilliant week !

      lots of love, Marianne xxx

      Delete
  2. Great post, Marianne! I definitely agree with the you time and faminly/friends time. That can really help perk your mood when you have the time to relax. Fitness is of course very good, but it can be hard to get yourself motivated haha!

    Lindsey Elyse | lindseyginge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spending time with people you love is the best way to put a smile on your face ! Fitness and motivation can be difficult to mix hehe but I've got some posts coming up soon with lots of advice on those topics !

      lots of love, Marianne xxx

      Delete
  3. I LOVE how you included treating yourself and taking time for yourself-- both of these are EXTREMELY important. So many people get so caught up in the nickels and dimes of budgeting that they forget to be human. Get yourself a bath bomb-- you deserve it! xX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so important to remember that you desserve the love that you give to other people and more importantly , to remember that you can give that to yourself ! Everyone deserves a bath bomb every once in a while !

      lots of love, Marianne xxx

      Delete
  4. I think I just budget my happiness by actually taking time and talk with some friends. A good laugh here and there definitely helps any bad situation.

    Joyce | Joycentricity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a brilliant ( and free ) way to keep yourself smiling ! I hope that you have a lovely day !

      lots of love, Marianne xxx

      Delete
  5. I definitely agree that happiness doesn't need to come from expensive objects or anythings. Being happy through your body and mind is the most important (and easiest!) way to happiness. I feel like me time is something we should all include in our lives, I love to curl up with a book and get lost in a fictional world!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about finding your smiles in the little things ! You've definitely got this thing down !

      lots of love, Marianne xxx

      Delete
  6. I love this post Marianne, these are really great tips on budgeting! I like what you've alloted for happiness. Nutrition and fitness are so important for overall well-bring and I tray myself to a lipstick every now and again because it's my favorite! Also, time spent with family and friends is huge for me. Loved this. I hope you're doing well lovely! XO- Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you honey ! I find that how you eat is how you feel ! Lipstick is a great cure for any sadness hehe !

      lots of love, Marianne xxx

      Delete
  7. Some really lovely tips here, hun! People say that money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy things that make you happy, and when you're tight on finances, it can be a little stressful. Spending time with friends and family doesn't cost a thing, and is so important and gives so much! Thanks for sharing this lovely post. :) <3 x

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Money doesn't buy happiness but if you can't afford to live the life that you love then the stress from that can have such a strain on your emotional health that it can really affect your happiness :) I aggree that spending time with loved ones is a great way to cheer yourself up !

      have a lovely day !

      lots of love, Marianne xxx

      Delete
  8. Looking after ourselves (nutrition/fitness) is always a good idea as it helps us both look and feel good - which can only be a positive result! :) Love your mention of surrounding yourself with family by the way, I find that's the quickest way to improve any day!

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How you eat and exercise really effects your mental well-being, I've started focusing on healthy eating and exercising more can really effect your happiness !

      lots of love, marianne xxx

      Delete
  9. Such awesome tips here! I especially like the one about making sure we have time to workout. I always find that after a good workout I am in a better mood. Plus my sleeping patterns improve, which helps me overall the following day too. It's also very important to spend time for ourselves. We are always doing so much during the day we have to remember to take time to relax for ourselves too. I like to wind down with a good TV show or a book. Thanks for a helpful post!
    by the way, I nominated you for the blogger recognition award!

    ~Andrea Tiffany~
    aglimpseofglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you honey ! You're right, when you're exercising you tend to sleep better and I don't know about you but a sleepy Marianne is a grumpy Marianne hehe ! I hope you have a lovely week :)

      lots of love, Marianne xxx

      Delete
  10. Loving this post, I do agree with all your points :) Hope you are having a wonderful week! x

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darling ! Have a great week :)

      lots of love, Marianne xxx

      Delete
  11. Great post hun, finding some "me" time is really important! I try to do it as much as possible, to relax and do things that I love! :)

    Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so important to look after yourself the way you would somebody else !

      lots of love, Marianne xxx

      Delete
  12. Nice post! I totally agree with everything said. IT is hard when you have grades to constantly stress about, upcoming tests etc,etc, it is difficult to find time for you but even if it's just ten minutes spending time doing something you particularly like can never do anybody harm.

    #sweetreatsxx www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking some time to yourself is honestly the best thing you can do for yourself ! Have a lovely day !

      lots of love, Marianne xxx

      Delete
  13. I like all you tips, really great. I love the gym, but recently I've been working out from home and saving a lot.
    Thank you for sharing. Have a lovely weekend Marianne :)
    xo
    Sauniya | Find Your Bliss ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think working out from home is an awesome way to save money ! Have a great day too honey :)

      lots of love, Marianne xxx

      Delete
  14. Your tips are really helpful! Amazing post! x

    http://thedreamchaser13.blogspot.ro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you honey ! Have a lovely week !

      lots of love, Marianne xxx

      Delete
  15. Haha oh my gosh that made me giggle ! I think treated yourself is unbelievably important ! It's awesome that youve found ways that can make your fitness cheaper, that's a brilliant suggestion !

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    ReplyDelete